Poly cystic disease of kidney, put on high dose of antibiotics, recurrence of infection. Light dose of antibiotics is the right treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mother has the poly cystic disease of the kidney. She had a severe cystic infection in March'2012 and the blood and the urine cultures were also positive.

She was put on a high dose of antibiotics and the TLC had come down to 10,400 in April,2012. May,2012 she had a recurrence of the infection and Urine showed a lot of pus cells but the culture came out to be negative. The current TLC count is 10.8 K (she is currently on a few antibiotics) and the creatinine is 5.75 where as the urea is 150.

Our nephrologist thinks this to be a minor infection and has put her on a light dose of antibiotics (maybe to ensure no further damage to the kidney because of the antibiotics). Can someone sugegst if this is the right way to go ahead with the treatment? What about a steam bath? would it help in bringing down the Urea?

Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 16 minutes later
Hi there.

Does your mother experience burning sensation while passing urine, lower abdominal pain, back pain ?

If there any blood in urine test done recently ?

Polycystic disease is a condition present since birth where the kidney forms lot of cysts. This can cause kidney filtration problems which can lead to edema and electrolyte disturbances. Also a known complication is hypertension. This can further cause damage to kidneys if not adequately treated.

Your mother has a renal infection which needs to be treated with antibiotics. The pus cells will regress once the infection is treated. She needs to keep well hydrated to reduce the symptoms as well. Within a week she should be free of infection if she is responding well to the treatment. Repeat the urine and blood tests after a week.

Proper treatment of hypertension is also essential to avoid further damage to the kidneys and other organs. With help of dietician, consume low salt diet. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.

Her Serum creatinine value is quite high and needs to be addressed by her Nephrologist. Urea levels can be high due to the kidney damage due to Polycystic disease and hypertension as well. Once hypertension is controlled, her Urea and Creatinine values will also drop.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.