Ask a Dentist   »  

Poking feeling after wisdom tooth extraction. Worried that part of tooth still remains

i had my wisdom tooth extracted some time back but i still feel that something is poking there when i touch it with my tongue. it feels hard and i am worried that part of my tooth is still there. what can it be. Thanks
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 35 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Since you got your wisdom tooth extracted a few days back, I assume there is no pain or swelling now.
I would appreciate if you could send me your post extraction x-ray, so that I could actually tell you what is the hard thing you're feeling (part of tooth or is it the bone). Most probably, it might be a sharp bony edge which is sometimes left behind following extraction and a simple bone filing will smoothen it out.
But, if it is a tooth remnant then that needs to be removed by your dentist.
If you have any more questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.
I wish you good health,