Poked eye with umbrella spoke. Eye gets sore and red. What do you recommend?

I poked my eye with an umbrella spoke. The white of my eye is red and is somewhat sore. What do you recommend?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr. Ratnakar Kini and I would be answering your question.

Injuries to the eyes need immediate medical attention. The injury by the umbrella spoke has resulted in bleeding in the white of your eye. That’s why the injured eye is red. There is a risk of infection in that injured eye.

Evaluation by an ophthalmologist is needed to determine the extent and the depth of injury. I would advise you get examined by an ophthalmologist immediately.

Meanwhile apply ice pack locally to the affected eye, give rest to your eyes.

I hope that answers your question. If you do not have any more questions, kindly accept the answer and rate the service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini