Poisonous insect bite on chin. Little brown scar left and prescribed with lomela. Scar has darkened. Advise?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Question
hello docs!!!
a poisonous insect bit me on my chin somewhere in the third week of June'13.... n there was a little dark brown scar left.....i consulted a dermatologist and was recommended Lomela. I was asked to use it only at night.....i was very impatient and i wanted the scar to lighten as soon as possible so i used it during the day also.... perhaps it had a peeling effect as the dark brown skin was peeled away n i was left with a fresh light pink one.... at that point of time i stopped the use Lomela and started using coconut oil & camphor mixture on the light pink patch.... in a few days the scar got lightened and pretty much matched with my complexion (wheatish to fair it is)... but the boundary region of the scar was still visible...then i again used Lomela on it during day time..... n somehow the scar has darkened a bit since then....... i am really worried as I have my wedding in Feb'14!!! n i dont a scarred face on that very special day of my life!!!

please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Beauty

Answered by Dr. Surindher 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HI, Thank you for using XXXXXXX for your

Detailed Answer:
HI,

Thank you for using XXXXXXX for your health related query.

Yes any scar or injury is prone to skin darkening ( tanning) because of the UV rays in sunlight.

The pigment lightening creams are mild acids which will peel away the darkened skin and allow new skin in natural colour to come back.

Do NOT use the lightening cream prescribed to you during the day time as it causes more injury making it prone to tanning.

Please use the same cream at night only and during the day time for the next 6 months ( or for always) use a broad spectrum sun screen ( SPF 30 or more) thrice a day during the day.

This will help reduce the pigmentation and bring back your skin to near normal colour.

Feb 14th is a long way off andam sure you should be ready by then. Let us know if this helped.

Dr.Surindher
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Poisonous insect bite on chin. Little brown scar left and prescribed with lomela. Scar has darkened. Advise? 7 hours later
Thank you Surindher!!!

your reply has lifted my spirits up!!!

as you said i must use Lomela at night.... during day time and evening hours i use coconut oil & camphor mixture on that patch.... & sometimes honey (with fresh milk or lemon juice) as face pack.... i wanted to if this ointment can cause reaction if i use these stuffs as well.???

Answered by Dr. Surindher 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
HI

Detailed Answer:
Yes, camphor & lemon juice are all irritants to the skin and can cause darkening, especially when used along with skin lightening creams.

So please avoid them.

You can just use a moisturizer on the face during the day time along with the sun screen.

The sun screen has to be applied thrice a day at least ( every 3-4 hours).

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr.Surindher
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Poisonous insect bite on chin. Little brown scar left and prescribed with lomela. Scar has darkened. Advise? 2 days later
Noted...

i have been using Lomela as prescribed by you since last 2-3 days... now that patch has turned kind of dark pink (it doesn't look like the fresh light pink skin though) ..... and now when i apply Lomela on it i get a little burning sensation at that patch..... what am I suppose to do now??? shall I stop the use of Lomela???

Answered by Dr. Surindher 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi.

Detailed Answer:
Stop the cream for two to three days and then restart it.

Also after applying the cream please do not rub it, and use minute quantities of the cream.

Use sun screen regularly and if the problem still persists, please go see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist in person.

Thank you

Dr.Surindher