Poison ivy on penis with swelling. Using benadryl and calamine lotion. How to treat this?

My 13 yr old son has poison ivy and it is on his penis which is swollen now. How can he treat this. I've been giving him benedryl and calamine lotion
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 34 minutes later
Poison ivy causes irritant contact dermatitis.
Application of calamine and Benadryl wont help much.
Please apply hydrocorisone cream twice daily, also give him tablet avil (anti histamine)
This will control the allergy.
To decrease the swelling, dip a piece of cotton in normal saline and apply over his penis let it be there for 15 min. Do this three times in a day, he will get relief.

Thank you
Follow-up: Poison ivy on penis with swelling. Using benadryl and calamine lotion. How to treat this? 26 minutes later
What about also Epsom salt baths? Also can this spread on me because I applied calamine on him with my hands and also washed the clothes he was wearing and I now have a rash on my arm and back of my leg.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 25 minutes later
Epsom salt bath can be given.
Ya it can spread, as I mentioned It is a contact dermatitis, but it should only affect your fingers with which you touched, anyhow to be on safer side, it will be better that you too take an anti histamine tablet.
Thank you