Poison ivy appeared below lip. Developed headache and swelling in gland below jaw. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have what appears to be a small patch of poison ivy just below my bottom lip on the right side of my face. Just yesterday, I noticed that the gland below my right jaw line is swollen. Today, I can feel sort of a tingle along the right side of my face down into the back of my throat. I'm also developing dull headache. If you would be so kind as to steer me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The allergic reaction on your face is likely to cause a local lymph node swelling which usually subsides after the lesion subsides.
Such allergic reactions can sometimes affect the surrounding structures like throat too. You need to take an oral antiallergic like fexofenadine (Allegra) and apply a 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the affected area.
This is likely to help in the improvement over a week. In case the symptoms are persistent or there is any difficulty in swallowing or breathing then consulting a dermatologist is recommended for specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Poison ivy appeared below lip. Developed headache and swelling in gland below jaw. Any ideas? 38 minutes later
Thank you kindly for your advice Dr. Tayal. It was most helpful.
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards