Pneumonia, cyst on liver,levaquin, productive cough,white phlegm,swollen glands in neck,tightness in chest,advair disk and nebulizer

I am a 43yr old woman. I was diagnosed with pneumonia almost 12 days ago. They did a chest x-ray and then did a cat scan which revealed the pneumonia. They also said that I had small cysts on my liver. I had an abdominal mri about a year and half ago and they said my liver was normal. After the pneumonia diagnosis, I was prescribed levaquin 500mg at that time, which I have completed. my cough was productive (only white phlegm throughout this time) now its not. I still have slightly swollen glands in my neck and tightness in my chest. I was just prescribed advair disk and a nebulizer treatment which helps but the tightness comes back. This has been going on for almost 1 month. Could this viral pneumonia?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Since you have been recently treated for pneumonia with antibiotics(given for bacterial pnemonias), This is still your recovery period. There would be some non specific symptoms like weakness , muscle pain, reduced appetite,mild cough with mucus,etc.

Swollen glands(lymphnodes) in the neck is a usual finding when one has an acute respiratory illness, the tightness of chest is also non specific, I would suggest you not to worry about it .This is not specific of viral pneumonia.

You may have to be alert, if you develop symptoms like severe chest pain , difficulty in breathing, severe muscle and joint aches,low grade fever < 101F present everyday,in such cases we think of a viral pneumonia .

I suggest you take good amount of fluids, and an over the counter an analgesic could help you deal with the chest tightness, I expect your symptoms to resolve in a couple of weeks.

A repeat chest X XXXXXXX and a complete blood count tests would be helpful if there are new symptoms.

Hope I answered your query, I would be available for follow ups as well