Plugged ears, hard wax in ear drum, hearing loss. On sudafed, afrin medication, got worse. Hazards of putting afrin in the ears?

ENT Specialist
both my ears were plugged and i was taking sudafed and afrin for a couple days. then i went to see an ENT and she said it was wax... she said she was able to clear one ear out completely but the other one had very hard wax stuck directly to the drum. i was told to use debrox for a few days to soften the wax and then come back. after a couple days of using debrox my ear plugged COMPLETELY and i cant hear out of it. then tonight by accident i put afrin in it and it got even worse... and the other one plugged slightly as well. now my ear cant hear a thing and is in pain... i tried to rinse the ear out with warm water.. what should i do? what are the hazards of getting afrin in the ear??
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later

Do not worry; this is one of the common problems faced after using wax solvents.

When wax solvents are used in those ears with wax, the wax will swell up further and exert pressure over the walls of the external auditory canal because of which there will be pain. Secondly, there are also chances of development of fungal infection in the ear after using the wax solvents. Once the fungal infection develops then the pain will worsen much more. There are no harmful effects of using oxymetazoline (afrin) in the ear.

I would suggest you, not to use any more wax solvent drops or water into the ear, get back to your doctor for ear cleaning and avoid using afrin nasal drops into the nose for a long duration. Meanwhile, you can take pain killers (such as Diclofenac or Ibuprofen) to reduce the pain.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon