Plugged ear, acoustic neuroma, eustachian tube dysfunction,CT scan, hearing test, used a spray. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had a plugged right ear for 3 weeks. Had a hearing test and no hearing out of that ear. Went to the dr. got put on spray. Didn't work. He called an ENT as we live in a small town. My dr. thought it was acoustic neuroma but the ENT. thought it was headaches also. CT scan showed extra fluid on the brain. I am also on pain pills. NOTHING is working and I am sitting here crying wondering if I should go up to the hospital. I am 52. HELP!
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later
Hi

Plugged ears following an attack of flu could be due to Eustachian tube catarrh, but the plugging of the ear without any specific reason could be either because of impacted wax or eustachian tube dysfunction.

In your query, you have mentioned that a hearing test has been done and no hearing was noticed. Could you please elaborate the findings of that test? What was the type of test performed? Was it either tympanometry or pure tone audiometry or both?

The possibility of Acoustic Neuroma is very unlikely as the symptoms mentioned above do not correlate with the diagnosis. The possibility of Eustachian tube catarrh cannot be ruled out and can be confirmed by a tympanometry examination.

Regarding CT scan brain, where was the extra fluid noticed in the brain?

With the description you have mentioned, it is very difficult to arrive at a diagnosis. If you can reply to the above questions, I will be able to help you in this regard. Please do not worry, we will try our best to find the cause of your problem and give you a suitable solution.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be looking forward for your reply.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Plugged ear, acoustic neuroma, eustachian tube dysfunction,CT scan, hearing test, used a spray. Treatment? 3 days later
Both tests were done. Now I have ringing in the ear also. It hurts very much.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Without the description of the report of the tests performed (audiometry, tympanometry and CTscan) it is very difficult for me to arrive at a diagnosis. Going through the history mentioned by you, there could be accumulation of the fluid in the middle ear due to blockage of the tube connecting nose and the ear (Eustachian tube).

The accumulation of fluid in the middle ear can lead to reduced hearing, blockage of the ear and also tinnitus. You need to do steam inhalation 2-3 times/day, continue with the steroid nasal spray as it can be helpful in relieving the congestion around the Eustachian tube and reduce the symptoms of middle ear block.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon