Plica fimbriata is red and painful. How to cure it?

Oncologist, Radiation
plica fimbriata red and paifull
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX forum.

I can understand your concern. Swelling at the ventral surface of tongue makes you anxious. I can assure that nothing serious to be thought at this moment.

Mucosal fold that runs parallel to frenulum ( located centrally under the tongue) called plica fimbriata. Your image also support this diagnosis.

The common problem occurs due to excessive irritation by tooth that makes it inflamed.

To treat it local application of anaesthetic solution will be helpful.
Common salt mouth rinse is a perfect choice.

Local application of raw honey will also be helpful as it hasten the healing process.

Earache is due the common nerve supply. If pain will worsen you can take oral analgesic also.

Consult a dentist for better guidance. This condition is mostly benign in nature. Anyway if any change in size or development of large ulcer you should visit your doctor. Take care, I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Plica fimbriata is red and painful. How to cure it? 2 days later

I continued with salt water washes, it is less painful but it turned into that normal? Attached photo
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 20 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.

You can continue the salt water washes. Nothing ti be worried.
This is not a serious problem. White lesions are most commonly caused by fungal infection and the other condition is thrush.

Anyway, you can watch the lesion for at least one week and maintain your oral hygiene.

Nothing serious about it. Take care and follow your doctors' advise.