Pleural effusion at left angle of lung plural, completed TR, had plural effusion with tuberculin infection. Continue anti TB ?

i have suffering from plural effusion with tuberculin infection on XXXXXXX 10, now i completed tr for 9th month(rcinex)previously. ....recently i take chest xray and found thiking of pleura minmin effusion at lower left angle of lung plural. so i have complite tr at april2011. may i again cont. anti-TB (rcinex) treatment or any other investigation.syst all NAD.NO FEVER NO LOSS OF APPITIDE, TOUNGE COTTED AND TEST LESS.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 40 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

I understand you need help with your Tuberculosis condition.
You seem to have completed the 1 year treatment with AKT 4.
You would need to know the following first:
1. DOTS (Treatment regimen for Tuberculosis) success rate is 54%.
2. Review is done by chest x XXXXXXX sputum microscopy, clinical picture, ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate).
3. If your regimen was not to the XXXXXXX then you will be put on a higher category and treated by not 4 but 5 drugs.

My advice to you for now:
1. Get the above assessed by your prescribing doctor. Only, then you can classify yourself as needing further treatment or not.
2. Coated tongue can occur commonly due to vitamin B deficiency, and supplement for same should be fine. You will get your taste soon.
4. Since X-ray already showed fluid at the end of 1 yr treatment, you mostly need further period of treatment by your doctor.
5. Maintain good hygiene and keep off crowds.
6. Good balanced diet, and lots of breathing exercises.
7. Fresh air, ventilation in your present accommodation.
8. Moderate exercise to help you overall.
9. Immunity boosting health tonics as required.

I hope, I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations, do not hesitate to reply.

Follow-up: Pleural effusion at left angle of lung plural, completed TR, had plural effusion with tuberculin infection. Continue anti TB ? 21 hours later
thanks, 1) which 5 DRUG treatment AKT I START? 2)today i investigate CBC ESR Mx Test(Tuberculin test on forarm subcut 48hr reading)it may be +ve, report awaited after receiving report i send u.3) i start from today sharkoferral with milk. sy b-complex. I hope u will guide me complit treatment after i sending u investigation report.thanks again with regards..
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 45 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

The supplement you have mentioned contains Calcium and Vitamin B complex. You can take that with full glass of milk and do not lie down for 1 hr at least.

Regarding the AKT treatment, you need to discuss with your treating doctor, as in Tuberculosis treatment, the complete follow up history is required. I cannot prescribe treatment for you, as I have not examined you. It would be unethical.

I will await for your reports to clear your doubts on this matter.

I hope, I have answered your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Pleural effusion at left angle of lung plural, completed TR, had plural effusion with tuberculin infection. Continue anti TB ? 20 hours later
thanks, my CBC AND ESR REPORTS ARE....BLOOD GLUCOSE RANDUM 80.2 GM%,SERUM G.P.T 50 U/L,R.B.C 4.76 million/ul,Hgb 12.3 g/dl,Hct(PCV) 37.7%,MCV 79fl,MCH 25.9pg, MCHC 32.7 g/dl,Platelets 3.34 lacs/ul,TLC 5700/,DLC...poly 56%,lymph 40%,eosin 03%,mono 01%,ESR (wintrobe) 20mm,PERIPHERAL BLOOD SMEAR.. Rbcs aRE NORMOCYTIC NORMOCHROMIC..WBC MORPHOLOGY NORMAL .pLATELETS ARE ADEQUATE.nO PARASITES SEEN IN THE PRESENT SMEAR. Mx test after 24hr shows only redness surronding side no palpable raised hardened area seen. pl dignose and i hope u guide me position of our health states. again thanking u.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 hours later
Hello again.

Thanks for posting the results.

Your blood tests and Mantoux seems fine, except ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) which is 20. Normal should have been between 0 to 9 mm/hr.

Raised ESR indicates the status of your TB infection over a long period of time and also typically takes a long time after infection cure to come down.

But, discuss and correlate this with the doctor who prescribed you the antiTB drugs for the review of treatment.

I hope, I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.