Ask a Urologist   »  

Please advise on urine examination report whether it is abnormal or normal.

Question
My urine examination report : color - pale yellow, transperancy - turbid, specific gravity- 1.005, ph- 6.5, qty -40 ml, albumin- trace, reducing sugar- nil, pus cells - 25-30/hpf, rbc - occassional, cast - nil, crystal - nil, epithelial cells - 3-4/ hpf,
bacteria - nil, other - nil , please advice report normal or abnornal in details
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Radhika 21 minutes later
color - pale yellow, transperancy - turbid, specific gravity- 1.005, ph- 6.5, qty -40 ml, albumin- trace, reducing sugar- nil, pus cells - 25-30/hpf, rbc - occassional, cast - nil, crystal - nil, epithelial cells - 3-4/ hpf,
I would like to make the following comments on your reports:
a.     The color, specific gravity, pH, reducing sugars, casts and number of epithelial cells are all in the normal range
b.     A turbid urine is abnormal and could indicate an increased number of cells (red blood cells or white blood cells in the urine), crystals, bacteria, lipids(lipids often rise to the surface) and semen
c.     An increase in the number of pus cells indicates an infection in the urinary tract.
d.     Also, traces of albumin are present. In healthy persons, the urine contains no protein or only a trace amount of protein. Proteins in the urine are comprised of albumin and globulin from the plasma. Because albumin is filtered more easily than globulin, it is the predominant type of protein that may appear in the urine.
In all, your findings are suggestive of a urinary tract infection. This can be confirmed by performing an investigation called urine culture and sensitivity. I would suggest the following:
a.     Drink plenty of fluids
b.     Cranberry juice also helps in treating these infections
c.     To treat the infection, a course of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones is required. These include drugs like ciprofloxacin. However, since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest that you XXXXXXX your treating physician who can evaluate you, perform the necessary tests and start appropriate treatment.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Please advise on urine examination report whether it is abnormal or normal. 29 hours later
My urine culture & Sensitivity report
Pus cells - Large Number, Epithelial cells - 2-3, RBC cells -0-1
Please Advice according to above report

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.

Your culture report does show high pus cells, which indicate infection.But you would have got one more report showing which antibiotics will work for you.

Seeing those antibiotics the doctor will prescribe you what has to be taken.

Follow-up: Please advise on urine examination report whether it is abnormal or normal. 15 hours later
My doctor prescribe after seeing urine culture report
Pentaprazole, martifur ( nitrofurantoin) & urikind

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

Martifur is an antibiotic; it should be taken with food. If you find any gastrointestinal problems after taking this medicine, consult your doctor. Also you will observe yellow-brownish color urine after taking this medicine.

Urikind is an anti-cholinergic, prescribed for painful, frequent, or night time urination and urgency. It relaxes the muscles in urinary tract and urinary bladder.

Pantaprazole should be taken 20 min before meals; it is an antacid to counteract the effects of Martifur. Drink sufficient fluids so that the infection reduces at the earliest.