Plates used for wrist fracture. Started feeling pain in hand and fever. Any thoughts?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell the first week in September. Was stupid and didn't go to the Dr. until the next morning. Worked 3 days in a splint with a broken wrist (I'm a hairstylist) Went on vacation for 1 week and had surgery when I got home. I knocked myself out for a few seconds and had 2 knots on my head, cut ear, bruised hip and shoulder besides the broken wrist. A top surgeon in Nashville did my surgery and put in a large plate/pins. Now I am having symptoms of carpal tunnel, but also having bad pain in top of hand and up arm. It feels feverish and I get to feeling bad like I have a fever every afternoon. I went back to work a little over a week after my surgery and my pain threshold is very high. My head was never checked out. Your thoughts??? Age 54 in good health except for Mitral Valvue Prolapse diagnosed in my 20's. Put on Lunesta to sleep before the accident because my primary physician thought I had sleep deprivation. Come to think of it......I've gone to being active and healthy to being a mess!!!
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the top of hand and in the arm is likely to be due to a nerve irritation in the area of injury.
One month after the surgery, such symptoms usually appear due to a soft tissue swelling around the area of fracture. The feverish sensation may happen due to a mild infection in the area. You need to get it examined from your orthopedician to find out the exact cause. Most of the times, mild pain killers like acetaminophen and a hot fomentation helps in relieving the symptoms.
You need to have a regular physiotherapy exercises under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.