Plantar psoriasis, spreading dot on soles, prescribed coal tar, salicylic acid, antioxidant and Clobetsol. Itching and scaling. Is there a potential cure?

Hi! I am suffering from plantar psoriasis since 2009 on my soles. It started with small dot on my soles which slowly spread to whole surface. I have been advised by local doctors to take cosalic(coal tar+salicylic acid), antioxidant, propysalic (clobetsol propionate) yet there has been no healing. There is lot of itching & scaling.

Is there a potential cure?
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

I understand your problem will try to help you.

Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune, hyper proliferative condition of the skin.

Palmoplantar psoriasis is a variant of psoriasis with disabling features.

Psoriasis can be controlled but it cannot be cured completely.
It can clear up completely but can reoccur any time.

Treatment options are:

-Moisturizers and antihistaminics for itching are the basic treatment options.

Moisturizers like moisturex cream/ venusia XXXXXXX cream are very helpful.

-Photo therapy with Ultraviolet B (UVB) light or Psoralen plus ultraviolet A (PUVA).

-Retinoids (acitretin)
highly effective
Highly effective and can be used on a long-term basis.

Highly effective. Careful monitoring required.

-Topical calcipotriene

-Topical high potency corticosteroid like clobetasol halobetasol along with salicylic acid.

I would advise you to continue with propysalic lotion and antioxidants along with good antihistaminics like fexofenadine and atarax. Topical calcipotriene can be added in addition to these.

Out of above treatment mentioned above two most effective drugs are Methotrexate and Cyclosporine.

Both are to be taken orally along with monitoring and blood test.
When taken for 2 -3 months they give excellent result. You can start with either one of them.
Please discuss these options with your dermatologist.

Even after clearance of plantar lesion, keep applying moisturizers regularly as dry skin is the precursor of psoriasis.

Hope I’ve answered your query.
If you have any further queries feel free to ask them.

Dr Sudarshan.