Planning to take oral contraceptive. Is it ok that I'm not starting the pill on the first day of my periods?

Question
Dear Doctor,

I am 17 and am planning to start an oral contraceptive for the first time. I was planning to start on XXXXXXX would you recommend that? Also the instructions say to start the pill on the first day of my period but I just got done with my period today on May 18th, it started on May 13th. Is it okay if start taking the pill from tomorrow? I don't plan on any sexual activity during my first cycle on he pill however i can't wait till my next period to start taking th pill because that's when my boyfriend comes back into town.I was thinking to start the pill from tomorrow, and take it for 21 days and instead of taking th 7 inactive pills , start the next pack immediately, thus skipping my period while my boyfriend is in town. My question is since I'm not starting the pill on the first day of my period, is that okay? If i start within a few days after my period ends, have no sex for the first whole pack (21) days, immediately start the next pack without waiting for withdrawl bleed and have sex while in the first or second week of second pack, will I be safe as we dont plan on using condoms? Also as this is my first time on the pill, is it okay to use 2 packs in a row? Are there any major side effects? Also I am getting vaccinations for Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid and maybe Tetanus soon, will any of them interfere with the pill? Also do any of these vaccinations require a blood test on which the Birth control pill will show up?

Thanking you,
XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for writing to us

Yes you can take tablet from today for 21 days , daily one tablet at dinner time

In my opinion it is better to wait for the withdrawal bleeding and again start the tablet from the first day of the cycle

Taking for consecutive two months may cause heavy flow when you leave them

If you want to postpone it you can take simple progesterone for a week and wait for the withdrawal bleeding and can start the birth controls in next cycle if you want

Vaccinations do not interfere with birth control pills

As far as condoms are concerned they are always better in preventing transmission of any sexual disease and can be used along with progesterone like norethisterone

This should be taken under doctor's prescription

Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Planning to take oral contraceptive. Is it ok that I'm not starting the pill on the first day of my periods? 11 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

My period ended between May 17th and 18th. Is it okay to wait one or two weeks to take the pill?(I have never been sexually active before). Also if I use Primolut nor to delay my period, should i start my next pack of birth control pills on day 1 of withdrawal bleed? Many forums say to take one whole pack of birth control pills before sex if i have never used birth control before, is that necessary? If i start birth control for the first time in 2 weeks from today, can i safely have unprotected sex between XXXXXXX 16th and XXXXXXX 20th? I also had a question about Emergency contraceptive pills, can they be used while taking birth control pills?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 24 minutes later
Hello

Dear

As you had your last period on 13th May and finished on 18th May , so you are going to have your next period around 13th XXXXXXX and you plan to have sex between 16th to 20th XXXXXXX

Considering the whole issue once again it is better not to start the oral contraceptives just now

Instead you can take them from first day of the next cycle means from 13th of XXXXXXX or before that whenever the period comes

By the time your boyfriend is here your menstrual flow will finish and then there is no need to use EC pills along with OCP's

Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Planning to take oral contraceptive. Is it ok that I'm not starting the pill on the first day of my periods? 16 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

As I have PCOS the dates of my menstrual cycle are very varied, last month my period started on either 7th or 8th April, which is why i can not be sure I will get my period again on XXXXXXX 13th and i do not want to risk being on my period while my boyfriend is in town. I want to start the pill today but as I need vaccinations soon I'm scared they may ask for a blood test and that the birth control pill will show up on the test. Is that possible? The vaccinations i am likely to get are Typhoid, Hepatitus (A) and maybe Tetanus (they said they need to check if tetanus is up to date).VERY IMPORTANT: Do any of these require a blood test that the birth control will show up on?
Will I not be safe If I start the pill after one or two weeks? What if i start the pill after one or two weeks and have sex using a condom, will that make me safe from XXXXXXX 16th-June 20th?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Hello

Dear XXXXXXX

If you are having polycystic ovaries , you can take these pills as they contain drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol

There is no harm taking them for consecutive two months

You should take Metformin also under your doctor's guidance and prescription

Regarding vaccination , you can go for them , pills will not show in the blood

So you are safe now taking them for two months for contraception as well as PCOD

Best wishes

Follow-up: Planning to take oral contraceptive. Is it ok that I'm not starting the pill on the first day of my periods? 38 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

I also wanted to inquire, if i use Primolut nor to delay my periods and then start birth control on the first day of my period is that okay? Also, If i start my first ever cycle of birth control pills on the first day of my period, am i safe from pregnancy if i have unprotected sex a week after starting my pill? How long should i wait to have unprotected sex after starting my pill for the first time.(I will start the pill on first day of my period)

Hello

Welcome back

If you take primolut N then how long you are going to take and you have to wait for the withdrawal bleeding.This will create the confusing scenario so it is better to take OCP's

They are effective having no failure rate if you take them without forgetting everyday

If you forget for one day then you can take two tablets next day , if you forget for 2 days then there are chances of failure rate

Period of conception is usually mid cycle. Just after periods we call it safe period

So do not worry