Planning to quit smoking. How long nicotine stay in system? Will be detected in blood test?

Health insurance policies are changing. Charging more for smokes so time to just quit. I have a test for nicotine in 40 days. It is a blood test. Will I pass? Or have to wait till next round of testing. Good motivation to quit.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 58 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Firstly, I appreciate you for having made the right decision to quit...

Nicotine itself is detectable in the blood or urine usually for less than 24 hours only. However, it is converted into other active metabolites, the most important of these being Cotinine. Now, most nicotine screening tests look for the presence of Cotinine, because it stays in the body for a longer time. Usually Cotinine is detectable in blood for about 5 - 7 days but rarely it can be detectable upto 2 - 3 weeks.

In your case, if you quit smoking now, and have a blood test after 40 days, most likely, you will pass it. Remember, that even using nicotine quit aids like nicotine chewing gums, patches, etc. can result in a positive test.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist