Planning to get married. Partners blood group is Ab- and my O+. Will that affect pregnancy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am 30 year old female, I am planning to getting married after 3 months, with the person I am getting married he has negative blood group, his blood group is (AB-ve) and mine is (O+), is that any problem occur while pregnancy, because I heard for with female friends, which two persons getting married with each other they both have same blood group, means positive blood group person only can marry with positive blood group person, or if the positive blood group female marry with negative blood group male, it should be problem occuer for the pregnancy, this couple lost possibilities to conceiving a Baby, is that true ?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 42 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

ABO incompatibility is known and common problem in newborns, but you should not be concerned because modern medicine take good care and prevent any serious complications. Many couples have blood groups as you 2 have and of course this absolutely isnt a reason to be afraid of future pregnancies of marriage! Just need to be a bit more cautious and do few basic blood tests after the baby is born.

Your baby will be for sure either A or B blood group. ABO incompatibility occurs when there is A or B "baby" with 0+ mother. So in your case there is a risk of this disorder. But...
ABO incompatibility generally causes mild type of haemolytic disease in babies which can be manifested as jaundice, paleness, weakness, feeding refuse and liver enlargement. This usually subside spontaneously because just mild anaemia occurs. In rare cases it can lead to something more serious but then it is treated by blood transfusions, phototherapy and some other methods if necessary. Of course, not all infants of (AB- 0) suffer from anaemia,this risk is about 60%.
All in all, you should get married and have babies with no fear. Just inform your doctors about your and husbands blood groups and then baby will be more detailed monitored during first weeks of its life.

WIsh you good health.