Planning to get baby. TSH is high, taking thyrox. Will I be able to conceive?

I am 32 years old female, i am planning to get a baby very soon. my TSH is 9 so i have been using thyrox-50. Doctor advice me for taking three months. I want to ask that it will be normal after taking this medicine. Please some suggestions for control TSH. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Thanks for writing this query on XXXXXXX

Yes, TSH of 9 is definitely high and needs hormone supplement. Thyrox is a good one to use in this case.

Though it is possible to bring back TSH to normal limits with supplementation (thyrox), the duration of treatment can vary. You will need to undergo repeat TSH testing at regular intervals to re-asses thyrox dosage - your current dose of 50mcg might be increased or decreased after the third month. Therefore do not be worried, take the medication regularly without fail.

Since you are planning for pregnancy, you will need to start folic acid supplements too. Discuss with your treating doctor when you visit them after 3 months.

As far as other measures to control TSH, there is no other option that needs consideration. However choose iodized salt. You can also try L-thyronine supplementation. Restrict goitrogens from your diet - cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, soyabean, sweet potato, radish, turnips and so on. Inform your thyroid status to your new doctors (if any) - some drugs can interact with your condition.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Planning to get baby. TSH is high, taking thyrox. Will I be able to conceive? 28 minutes later
I want to know about that while using Thyrox (if not normal TSH) can i get pregnant? it will be problem or what. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later

Hypothyroidism is known to affect the pregnancy chances. With a higher TSH, your chances of conceiving are slightly lower; therefore your target should be to get the TSH values to normal range.

Besides the chances of conceiving, a normal TSH is essential for a healthy and developmentally normal child. Hence plan to get TSH to normal range by regular medication as well as other options that I suggested. If there are no other factors involved, you should be able to bear a normal child.

Hope it is clear. Let me know if you need clarification.
If all your questions are answered, please close this discussion.