Planning to do liposuction to reduce excess weight. Is it ok to go ahead?

I am planning to do liposuction to reduce my excees weight. Is it ok to go ahead?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 9 hours later

Before deciding for liposuction, it is important to know its pros and cons.
Firstly, you should be a right candidate for liposuction. This treatment is basically used to remove fat from particular regions. So you should be almost near to your ideal weight.

Since, the fat cells are removed during the procedure, further deposit of fat at the same site does not occur. So, in case you go on increasing weight later on, the shape of the body may change. It may also take some time, to regain the elasticity of the skin at the surgical site. Scarring can also be a disadvantage.

These are the common adverse effects seen after a liposuction. So, I would advise you to decide over it after a proper thought. Though time consuming, it is best to go for regular methods such as diet control and exercise.

Hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: Planning to do liposuction to reduce excess weight. Is it ok to go ahead? 8 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

I have got another question.

My height is 5.9" and my weight is 106 Kgs. I have tried all possible options, like dieting, going to gym and so on but nothing worked out. Hence I opted for this Liposuction.
Moreover I am single and I am planning to get married soon. Weight is really a concern.

Is Liposuction a surgery? May I know how it is done?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 12 hours later

Thanks for the follow up and sorry for the delay in responding to your query.

I understand the trouble you have gone through to reduce your weight and the difficult decision of getting your body in order for the preparation for your future life.

Even though you have tried dieting and exercise, I feel that you require a proper diet counselling. It is not proper to cut short your meals to reduce your weight. I would suggest you to use our dietician service for getting a personalized diet plan. You can check for it on your dashboard. In case it is not there, you can always post a query to the dietician.

Liposuction is a surgical procedure which is done under general anesthesia if fat from large area has to be removed. Small openings are made on the body surface through which suction tubes are inserted and then sucking out of fat is done. This is a general idea of liposuction. You can also google for videos showing the procedure of liposuction.

In short, I would still be happy if you can reduce your weight through proper diet management and exercise.

Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Planning to do liposuction to reduce excess weight. Is it ok to go ahead? 12 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, I would go for a proper diet counselling and try reducing my weight. Guess that would be better than Liposuction.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 1 hour later

Wish you good luck in achieving your target. Wish you a healthy life.