Planning to conceive. What medical test should be done?

Dear Doctor,
We are planning to have a baby and have started trying since 2 months. I wanted to have a general health checkup and consultation from a gynecologist. I have never been on birth control pills or any other prolonged medication. Please let me know if we could fix an appointment with you this or the next weekend.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 hours later
Since you are planning for pregnancy, there are a few things which need to be taken care of-
1. You should have normal regular cycles.
2. You should complete your vaccinations- like MMR, Hepatitis B, Chicken pox, etc at least 2 months before planning for a baby.
3. You have to start folic acid supplements preferably one month before pregnancy and continue during pregnancy which will help in neurological development of the baby.
4. You have to take good and sufficient nutrition containing fruits, vegetables, milk etc and vitamins and minerals supplements.
5. The best period to have intercourse for a successful conception is fertile period.
The first day of a period is considered as day 1. In a regular 28 day cycle, usually on day 14, the egg is released and is waiting for the sperm to fertilize it. The egg has a lifespan of just 12 to 24 hours whereas a sperm can last for about 72 hours in a woman. Sex on alternate days from day 10 till day 16 is the time that the woman has the highest chances for pregnancy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Planning to conceive. What medical test should be done? 22 hours later
Thank you for your response Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
You are most welcome.
I am happy I could help.
You can consult me again if you need to.
Wish you the best in whatever you do.