Planning to conceive. Having hig TSH levels. Is this curable? Suggest some medication

Hello Doctor,
I am XXXXXX, age-29, ht-165cm, wt-52kg, got TSH count of 14 which is on higher side.
I am planning for pregnancy, will I be pregnant with such a high TSH?
Is this disease curable with medication treatment or will have to consume pills for life long?
What are the sideeffects of the medication for the same?
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
High TSH levels indicate that you are hypothyroid.

Hypothyroid state cause problem in conception [delayed conception].

Hypothyroid state if left untreated during pregnancy, can lead to greater risk of multiple complications, including miscarriage, preeclampsia, and preterm delivery. Some studies show that children whose mothers didn't have enough thyroid hormone during pregnancy have lower IQs.

I would recommend you to consult physician so that early treatment can be started with thyroid supplements.
Dose of medication should be such that TSH level remains below 2.5 mIU/L.

Usually with pregnancy, dose of levothyroxin needs to be increased to XXXXXXX body demands.

During the first half of pregnancy, women on levothyroxine should have their TSH measured every 4 weeks. In the second half of pregnancy, it should be measured at least once, between 26 and 32 weeks.
After your baby arrives, doctor will test your TSH level again, usually at 6 weeks. Your dose of levothyroxine will probably need to be reduced again to your pre-pregnancy level.

Hypothyroidism needs to be treated with supplement drug lifelong usually.

Regarding side effects- the drug is hormone it self, only prepared outside the body. If taken in less amount cause hypothyroid symptoms obvious or high dose make hyperthyroid state obvious
Follow your thyroid hormone levels 6 monthly, adjust the dose accordingly. You will not experience side effects otherwise.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any other doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Planning to conceive. Having hig TSH levels. Is this curable? Suggest some medication 38 minutes later

Anuja again.
Mam I heard that symptoms of hypothyroidism are obesity, fatigue, hair fall, dry skin.
Can these symptoms be removed by proper medication.

& by treatment how much time will be needed to bring to normal TSH count.
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 20 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Yes, you heard right. But symptoms appear because of low thyroid hormone levels. When we start treatment with thyroid supplement, automatically symptoms reverse.

For hormones level to return to normal level, it will take 4-5 months. Then after that you need to maintain medication at required dose, and regular follow up of hormone levels is also required.

I hope this information helps you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.