Planning for second baby. First baby normal delivery. Will there be weight gain after second baby? Undergo medical test?

Mar 2016

I am 35 year old male and my wife is 34 years old. We had our first baby boy 10years back. We are planning for our second baby. Few questions:
1. First baby was a normal delivery. So what is the chance of normal delivery in second delivery?
2. After first delivery, my wife weigh has increased by 15kg. Will the weight still increase after second delivery?
3. Should my wife undergo any medical test before getting pregnant?

Note: My wife doesnt have any other health issues. Everything normal except for irregular periods sometime.
Any other advice. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 24 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) As your first baby was born with normal delivery, then there is quite greater chance of vaginal birth or normal delivery again.

However, mode of delivery is not always predictable without pelvic assessment and fetal well being status. It is only decided when a woman undergoes in labor near term. Her obstetrician would make a right decision at that stage.

2) Some women gain extra weight after delivery of baby physiologically. During pregnancy period, 11 to 12 kg weight gain is normal thing and it takes time to come down in non-pregnant state.

Hormonal imbalance, estrogen predominance, improper food metabolism, lack of much physical activity after birth, insomnia, mental or physical stress etc are the most important cause of weight gain. Physical exercise and proper diet can help to reduce extra weight to some extent. Thyroid function should be normal.

In conclusion, she has quite chance of gaining weight after 2nd delivery also. However, it can be prevented or reduced by above measurement.

3) If her period is almost regular (except 1-2 cycles), then initial medical test is not mandatory before getting pregnant.

If irregular period continues for several cycles, then some initial investigations like pelvic ultrasound scan, D-21 progesterone hormone assay, LH/ FSH, thyroid function test (T3, T4, TSH), blood sugar etc are required under the guidance of her gynecologist. Suggestive treatment can be made as per test reports.

FOR SUCCESSFUL CONCEPTION : You have to do unprotected sexual intercourse with ejaculation close to her ovulation day (approx 14 days prior to next due date) or fertile days (12th to 18th day of each 28-30 days cycle). She can use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) to track down ovulation properly. It is available in all medical store. Regular sex should be continued for at least 6-12 months.

If she fails to conceive within 12 months of trying, some additional investigation may be required like Semen analysis, test for tubal patency and cervical factor, serial follicular study for proper ovulation etc.

In addition, both of you must take a healthy balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables. Low carbohydrate diet is preferable. Drink more water or fruit juice to stay hydrated and better circulation. Take Vitamin-E and FOLIC acid supplements for 3 months in preconception period and there after. Avoid stress and do light exercise for overall physical fitness.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through