Planning for re-do of the carotid surgery. Having severe pain in legs. Could this be due to blockage of the aorta?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a64yr old woman. I had aorta bi-femoral bypass 17yrs ago and a stroke resulting in carotid surgery 2 years later. I am scheduled for a re-do of the carotid surgery in two weeks. In the meantime my legs are hurting severely from walking as well as resting. Can hardly go. Could this be blockage of the aorta or my heart? Shouldn't my legs stop hurting while at rest? Thankyou so much...very nervous right now.
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. This cant be blockage of aorta,but it can be blockage of aorto-bifemoral graft. This is commonly seen even much earlier than 17 years because atherosclerosis leads to blockage of bypass too. If you have pain in rest then it may indicate significantly reduced blood flow in legs and it should be evaluated by ultrasound or CT angiography. The good news are that bypass can always be replaced and blood flow can be established unless there is irreversible blockage of all leg arteries. So you should definitely consult vascular surgeon again and do these tests. Till that you should warm up your legs as much as you can. take antiagreagatory therapy.regulate blood sugar and lipids and regulate body weight. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. RegardsRs
Follow-up: Planning for re-do of the carotid surgery. Having severe pain in legs. Could this be due to blockage of the aorta? 1 hour later
Thankyou so much. This answer makes me feel easier about my issues and will take your advice and contact my Dr. The warming of the legs is right on, I believe. I have noticed that when my feet and legs are cold, I begin to hurt. Is this actually due to temperature or lack of circulation? Looking forward to your reply. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: This is due to both. When there is cold wheather it causes reduced blood flow in legs and then begin to hurts and you have cold sensation. So you probably have constantly reduced blood flow which is aggravated by walking or being in cold environment. You can try to warm up your legs and it may help a bit,but the real problems is inside your artteries and bypass and it can be managed surgically. Aspirine and leg massages may help too. I hope you ll feel better soon.