Planning for pregnancy. What causes egg to no rupture on 17th day of cycle?

Hi.. Am 32 yrs old and planning for pregnancy. Egg size is 26 and its not ruptured on 17th day. Can i know the reason
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: LUF or Luteinized unruptured follicle syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I would be able to comment further if you can give me some more information like-your menstrual history, what type of treatment you are on and if you had any success in the past. Coming to your query, failure to release the ovum after complete maturation and after all the parameters of ovulation like raised BBT or basal body temperature, mid-cycle progesterone levels, LH surge and cervical mucus changes are achieved, is known as LUF or Luteinized unruptured follicle syndrome. Though the exact cause for this is not known several possibilities have been considered like luteal phase defect, abnormal prolactin levels, decreased prostaglandin release and primary granulosa cell defect in the follicle. Also, studies have shown that the thickness of the endometrium is related to the optimum follicle size for ovulation. Thicker endometrium is optimum for pregnancy to happen and also increases the optimum follicle size. If your doctor can diagnose any additional hormonal defects, they need to be corrected before inducing a cycle. Release of the ovum may be accelerated by using LH or hCG injections. The cycle should be further monitored along with ovulation indicators to see if release happens in a couple of days. Sometimes, failure to ovulate can result in a cyst formation which reabsorbs gradually. Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.