Planning for pregnancy. Taking clarithromycin for sore throat. Any effect on fetus during pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hi doctor,
I am currently planning for pregnancy. I am taking clarithromycin for sore throat that prescribe by my doctor. I am worry that this antibiotic will affect the fetus if I find out that I am pregnant during this period. Please advice. Thanks
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer to your query.

Clarithromycin has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. It means that animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate & well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. Also there is no such data available regarding adverse effect while trial study is conducted among pregnant women with recommended doses.

Another thing, it should not cause any harmful effect before 4 weeks or without knowing that you are pregnant.

It may cause harmful effect or congenital abnormalities of the developing fetus (may lead to miscarriage) while organogenesis (around 5-6 weeks) takes place and not before that period.

Therefore, when you find out that you are pregnant, then you have to discontinue above mentioned drug immediately to avoid uncertain adverse effect on baby.

As you are planning for pregnancy, you must take healthy diet XXXXXXX in protein with more XXXXXXX vegetables. You will take more fresh or dry fruits and drink more water/ juice along with diets. You can take good health drinks additionally.

In addition, Vitamin E & Folic acid supplements are must required for at least 3 months in pre and post conceptional period. It will help to develop fetal nervous system properly in early week of pregnancy.

Plan your pregnancy without any stress/ tension and always maintain personal hygiene & take sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope, above said information is quite helpful & very much sufficient to you. If you have any query, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & good luck for successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Planning for pregnancy. Taking clarithromycin for sore throat. Any effect on fetus during pregnancy? 18 hours later
Hi Dr Soumen,

Thanks for your reply. Another thing that I would like to know is can I take peppermint tea, psyllium husk and probiotic during pregnancy? Any adverse effect on the developing fetus while taking the above?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

It is advisable not to take any herbs or unnecessary medication during first trimester of pregnancy till organogenesis of the developing fetus is completed (mostly within 12 weeks).

Though, there is no such evidence or adverse effect on growing fetus available in trial study on using above said herbs in light doses. You can consult with your gynecologist regarding this for recommended doses, depending on severity of presenting symptoms (like morning sickness or constipation etc).

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

You can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

Take care yourself & enjoy your pregnancy.

Dr Soumen