Planning for pregnancy. Is 2 to 3 ml of semen sufficient?

Infertility Specialist
I took semen test 6 month back and even now. Both the time semen analysis results in positive. I am able produce only 2 to 3 ml semen. Is it sufficient for pregnancy planning? or i need to go for any medication. please how to increase sperm quantity.
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 52 minutes later

2 to 3 ml of semen is normal. If the other parameters are fine, you need not take any medicines for that.

You can plan for a pregnancy with your wife.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back, if you have any other queries.

Good luck...
Follow-up: Planning for pregnancy. Is 2 to 3 ml of semen sufficient? 16 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your response. I consulted a Urologist, after seeing my recommended Fertyl M (25 g) for 4 weeks (twice a day). Is it right tablet to have it now or it has any side effects? I am unable to have relationship with my partner for little lone time, i became tired in very short time? will this impact our pregnance planning?

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 26 minutes later

Nice to hear from you,

Well, the medicine prescribed is clomiphene citrate. It is given to improve the sperm counts and you can take it without any significant side effect.

Answering the second part, I would say it is a very relative symptom. If you feel tired in the process of intercourse, then you can take rest for a few minutes in the middle. But as far pregnancy is concerned, you must be able to ejaculate into the vagina. Tell her to keep lying down for at least 15 to 20 minutes after the ejaculation - that will help.

I suppose, I have answered your query. Do write back if you have other concerns.

Good luck