Planning for baby. Undergoing HSG. Having a fibroid. Suggest the anti-biotic table?

May 2013
Hello Doctor,

This is regarding my wife (age:30).
My wife is undergoing HSG test (hysterosalpingiogram), which is tomorrow 4th XXXXXXX
And i was told by the Radiology department to have Antibiotic before and after this test.
Since the regular Gyno is no available to ask. Could you please suggest the anti-biotic table for the same.
Background for this test:
We are planning for the baby, since 1year. And my wife is having a fibroid and all the reports of her and mine (SA as well) are normal. Doctor suggested to have HSG test done.
Let me know if you require any further information.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 minutes later

Hysterosalpingogram is usually done to detect any anomalies in the uterus or tubes and to confirm the patency of the tubes.
As some instruments will be used during the procedure better to use antibiotics to avoid infection.
As you are planning for pregnancy, better to use either penicillin group of drugs or cephalosporins which belongs to category B drugs in pregnancy and less harmful.
We in our clinic usually advice ampicillin, amoxycillin etc.
But better to take the drugs only after consulting your doctor as she will be more aware of clinical condition.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.