Planning for baby. Not able to conceive. All test normal. Help?

Mar 2016

Hi DR,
Me & my wife got married in aug 2012, now we are planning for a babby.
but from last two months my wife is unable to get pregnent.
she had all her test and everything is normal.
request you to please help us on the same

+91 0000
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 21 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve the problem.

The very first thing, you both have to involve in unprotected sex without any contraceptive method around ovulation day or fertile days for at least 6-12 months before proceed to basic investigations of primary infertility. Ovulation occurs 14 days prior to next period due date. In case of regular period with 28-30 days duration, her fertile days will be from 11th-18th days of each cycle. She can use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) to predict ovulation time in mid cycle. With this protocol, chances of pregnancy can be maximized.

In preconception period, you both can take Vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for at least 3 months. Additionally, take healthy diet, control body weight by regular physical exercise, try to avoid mental stress/ emotional upset by regular meditation/ yoga, drink more water and eat fresh fruits, maintain genital hygiene and take sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Next thing, if the above protocol fails, some basic investigations for infertility are advised as follows:

1) Husband semen analysis test.
2) Pelvic ultrasound scan - to check overall reproductive organs.
3) Serial follicular study in mid cycle to check proper ovulation.
4) Tubal patency test- by HSG (hystero salpingography) or laparoscopy.
5) Complete hormone assay with thyroid profile, blood sugar & prolactin test.
6) Test for cervical factor- Post Coital Test (PCT), Anti-sperm antibody (ASA) etc.

It is seen that 40% of infertility issues occur due to men, another 40% due to women, about 10% results from complication of both & in rest 10%, no definite cause is found (unexplained infertility).

To summarize, after 6-12 months of trying for natural conception, if she fails to conceive, you both need to consult with infertility specialist for proper guidance and management of the case.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen