Planning for baby. Having sex 4 times a week. Got periods. Reason?

I Got married recently, my wife is trying to get pregnant. We are having sex atleast 4 times a week since 16th of May.
But she got her periods today.

Last month her periods starting date - 28th April
This month her periods starting date - 3rd XXXXXXX

Please suggest. What could be the reason. Do we need to take care of something?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Currently there is no need to worry, as infertility (problem in getting pregnant) is need investigation, only when couple do not get pregnant after 1 year of regular and unprotected (without contraceptive measures) intercourse.

Ovulation in female occur only once in a month. Due to that per month there is only one chance of getting pregnant. It is better to know and predict approximate ovulation time, to have sex around that period, for pregnancy.

1st day of menstrual cycle is considered the first day of next whole cycle. Ovulation occurs in the middle of the cycle and more specifically 14 days prior to the next cycle. Having sex around the day (and +/- 3 days) of ovulation, leads to the pregnancy.

For example if first day of cycle (start of bleeding) is on 1st November and average cycle length is 30 day duration (in your wife case it was 35 days, 28 April to 3rd June) then next menstrual cycle will start on 1st December (6 December, if we consider 35 days menstrual cycle). So highest chance of ovulation is on 17th (1st december-14days) (22nd November in your wife case, 6th December-14 days). So having sex (+/- 3 days) between 19th-25th November will lead to highest chance of pregnancy, in given example.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.