Planning for a child. Unable to conceive. What could be the problem?

Infertility Specialist
I & My wife are planning for a kid since 3 months but are not sucessful. Initial 1 month, we didnt have proper idea when is the fertile days but after consulting some doctors, we figured out that fertile days are 14 days before the next mensturial cycle. We made sure that we had continioous sex for a week, but again today she got her periods. What must have been the reason
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply :

1) Since you have been trying for only 3 months, its very early to have conception. You cannot be called infertile as typical definition of infertility is when you try for pregnancy for more than one year and you fail to conceive.

2) But I am happy that you are aware about fertile periods and you are correct that fertile days are 14 days prior to the next cycle. There is more chance of conception during these days.

3) I suggest you keep having interourse about 2 days before and 3 days after these expected days of ovulation.

4) Even if you dont conceive for trying another 3 months I suggest you get semen analysis done for you. This tells us about sperm count and other parameters. You can do it even now if you are fine with it as it a simple test done in lab.

5) If your semen analysis is normal get an HSG and transvaginal scan for your wife in a good infertility centre which will clear all doubts.

6) Chance of natural conception in any cycle is about 4 to 8 % and hence dont be discouraged that you could not conceive in 3 months.

Since you are young I am sure you will conceive soon.

I hope I answered your query. Please get back to me if any more queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.
IVF & Infertility Specialist