Planning for a baby. What precautionary measures and diet should be followed for healthy baby?

May 2013
Me and my wife are thinking to plan for a baby. But before we go for it we just want to make sure what all precautionary or necessary steps are there that we should take care of. What should be the health or diet chart for both of us? What should be the day schedule for us? I want to add here that my wife has a low BP problem and her BP normally stays around 85/60. So how thats going to affect the conceiving a baby and how can we take care of both the mother and the baby? How many months should we consider before we try for a baby. What necessary tests should we go for to check for normal health of a mother and a father to have a healthy baby
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later

Pre-pregnancy councilling is a very good step for healthy pregnancy and safe delivery.
-You should take nutritious diet that should involve cereals, dhal, vegetables, fruits, milk, eggs, meat, fish etc. So that carbohydrates, proteins, some amount of fats, vitamins and minerals etc. all will be covered.
And intake of sufficient amount of water is very important. It should be 8 to 10 glasses per day.
-You can plan your day schedule according your profession.
In that sufficient rest in between working hours, taking small quantity food at shorter intervals, sufficient water intake, avoiding or at-least deceasing the fast food intake, avoiding mental strain as much as possible are necessary.
Doing exercises, yoga etc. will help in keeping the weight within normal limits.
-Usually low blood pressure without any symptoms may not have much effect on pregnancy and its outcome.
Sufficient salt and water intake, regular exercises can treat the problem to some extent.
-You have to consider at-least three months before planning for a baby.
Your wife can start taking folic acid prophylaxis 1 to 2 months before expecting pregnancy.
-Routine tests recommended are:
Blood grouping and typing, Hemoglobin levels, Blood sugar, Serological markers.
Sometimes your doctor may recommend some specific tests if required.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.