Planning for a baby. Semen analysis done. What does the reports says?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi Dr I am 32 years old trying for baby for past 2 years. I have received my sperm count 125 million/ml, Total Motility 64%, Rapid linear progression 28%, Slow linear progression 16% non progressive 20% immotile 36%, Eosin/Nigrosin Vitality 68%, Abstinence 7 days, Color grey white . Morphology Head and Tail normal 60%, Total abnormal 40%, head abnormal 15%, Mid piece abnormal 10% and Tail Abnormal 15%. Ph level is 8.
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to your semen analysis:
Count is normal.
Progressive motility should be more than 50% in general.
Viability should be 75%.
Usually 3 days abstinence is optimal, as you are having 7 days abstinence the sample will contain old sperms and that can affect the parameters.
One more possibility is varicocele.
So you better consult Urologist and/or XXXXXXX and undergo physical examination and repeat seminal analysis after 3 days of abstinence.
Plan intercourse around the time of ovulation which will increase the chances of pregnancy.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Planning for a baby. Semen analysis done. What does the reports says? 8 hours later
Thanks for the timely response.

When you say progressive motility should be more than 50% do you mean that
both rapid linear progression and slow linear progression which is 28 + 16 = 44 should this be more than 50 %.

My viability is 15% do you say that it has to be more than 75%.

I have been taking Fertisure M tablet for the past 1 month.Please advice me what can I do to increase mobility and viability naturally.

Is there any serious problems. Is it curable with medication and dietary changes.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 hours later

Yes, rapidly progressive and slowly progressive combinedly can be taken for progressive motility.
Viability or vitality indicates the live spermatozoa, and the values can differ from lab to lab.
Usually the value is 75%, but according to the lab you undergone analysis the normal value is given as 60%. And according to that your seminal vitality 68% is normal.
According to manufacturers Fertisure tablet is said to increase the fertility. So as your doctor prescribed it you can continue.
As I told before better to consult urologist or XXXXXXX and undergo physical examination to rule out the possibility of varicocele and also if he suggests you can go for repeat seminal analysis.
By this primary workup any abnormality can be detected and can be treated accordingly.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Planning for a baby. Semen analysis done. What does the reports says? 22 hours later
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I have one more question.I am little confused with viability and Vitality

My viability is 15% at 37 degree what does this mean and how is it related to vitality ? is my viablity normal.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Vitality or viability usually used interchangeably in seminal analysis.
Which indicates the live spermatozoa.
Usually vitality should be measured within 1 to 2 hours of semen collection. And that value is 68% in your report, whereas 15% is different which is the value after 5 hours.
Measurement of viability is used as check on the accuracy of motility evaluation.
In that the percentage of dead cells should not exceed the percentage of immotile spermatozoa.
So as your seminal analysis is showing vitality of 68% means dead sperms as 32% and immotile sperms as 36%. it is within normal limits.