Planning for a baby. Rotator cuff surgery to be done. Can pain medicine reduce sperm quality?

I need to have rotator cuff surgery. At the same time, my wife and I are trying to conceive. She is concerned that a) the pain meds will directly impact our ability to conceive and b) the pain meds will reduce the quality of my sperm increasing the likelihood of complications/miscarriage/defects. Thoughts?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 10 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

Let me answer your query one by one.

1. the pain meds will directly impact our ability to conceive? Pain medication will in no way affect your ability to conceive. You and your wife need not worry about it.

2. the pain meds will reduce the quality of my sperm increasing the likelihood of complications/miscarriage/defects.? Short term pain medications will not affect sperm quantity or quality. Neither will it increase her chances of miscarriage.
However your wife is not supposed to take any sort of medications other than folic acid. This is to avoid damage to the fetus in early developmental period.

So, both of you need not worry as both the above will not hamper your fertility and baby development.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.
Dr Nilofer