Planning for a baby. Prescribed biona-e, finasteride and sofer tablet for hair loss. Are these safe?

hi sir,have been suffering hair loss and visited a doctor today.he has prescribed me with Biona-E,Finasteride and sofer tablets.Got to know from web that usage of Finasteride will lead to multiple side effects.We are also planning for a child now.Kindly advice the usage of medicines at this point of time
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Biona E and sofer are vitamin and mineral supplements that are safe and can be continued. As far as finesteride is concerned, there are certain sexual side effects like decreased libido impotence which are uncommonly seen ( 1 to 15 percent cases) and that too in high doses and when given for prolonged period. These side effects are supposed to be reversible and disappear once the drug is discontinued. However now there are certain studies which say that these side effects too can persist for indefinite period. As you are planning to extend your family, I would not advise a risk even if its minimal. Hence I would advise that you can avoid taking finesteride.

Hope that helps. Should there be any other query, fell free to write back.
Dr Kalpana Pathak.