Planning for a baby. HSG test was normal. Given tablets for egg development. What else can be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, We are planning for a child from 8 months. My Gync has done my HSG test which is normal as my both the tubes are open. 2-3 times my periods were irregular i.e. delayed for 15-25 days so she has told me to do this. Now she told me that we need to start tablets for egg development. Is it the correct process to be done or what else will be the reason ???
History - my age is 32. case is of Balance translocation of 14.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later

Irregularity in periods can occur due to many causes like hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems, anemia etc.
If your ultrasound and other reports are normal, you can go for tablets.
Irregularity in periods due to hormonal problem can lead to difficulty in predicting the time of ovulation and also after conception implantation etc. can also get affected.
So you can follow your doctor's advice.
By taking tablets for ovulation induction, the follicle development can occur.
And by taking necessary hormones and injections it can get released at expected date.
Follicular study can be done to track the ovulation.
And you can plan unprotected intercourse around that period, which will increase the possibility of pregnancy.
Every pregnancy may not get affected with chromosomal abnormality.
Regular followups and ultrasound examinations are needed to monitor the well-being of the fetus.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Planning for a baby. HSG test was normal. Given tablets for egg development. What else can be done? 16 minutes later
I have thyroid problem but my tablet for same are regular. after HSG test i got period which are 4 days delayed but not bleeding as regular only spoting is there till 7 days. Now my doctor is saying she can not start tablet till the flow is proper. Pregnency test negative. please suggest what is wrong with it and what has to be done

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later

Yes, usually the tablets for ovulation induction should be taken from 2nd or 3rd day of menstrual cycle.
So as now your cycles are irregular it is difficult to start the tablets and to get desired result.
You wait for the next cycle, and in that cycle you can start the tablets form the 2nd or 3rd day with your doctor's advice.
You continue the thyroid medicines and frequent followup is needed.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.