Planning for a baby. Can I do yoga? Suggest exercises?

Mar 2013
Hello Doctor,

I am 29 years old and we will be planning baby from next month.
Could you please let me know if I can do yoga and walking regularly?
I want to know what forms of exercises are harmful to the body for concivement.

Best Regards,

Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Thanks for your query..

Exercise in any form is always beneficial for your body
Start and stick to a fitness plan now, and you'll be rewarded with a healthy body that's fit for pregnancy. Plus, working up a little sweat is a great way to relieve the stress that can get in the way of getting pregnant.

A healthy exercise program includes 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise, such as walking or cycling and weight training, on most days of the week.
To increase flexibility, try stretching or yoga, and you'll have a really well-rounded fitness program. Once you're pregnant, it's okay — even recommended — to continue exercising. (That's unless if you have pregnancy complications and have been told not to, of course.)

If exercising hasn't been a priority for you lately, you'll need to ease into an exercise routine. Start with something tame, like walking ten to 20 minutes a day. Add more activity into your daily routine by taking the stairs instead of the elevator or parking your car a few blocks away from work.

You're not eating for two yet, but you should start making nutritious food choices now so that your body will be stocked up with the nutrients you need for a healthy pregnancy.
Try to get at least 2 cups of fruit and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables every day, as well as plenty of whole grains and foods that are high in calcium -- like milk, calcium-fortified orange juice, and yogurt. Eat a variety of protein sources, such as beans, nuts, seeds, soy products, poultry, and meats.

Yoga and walking are great choices for exercise while trying to conceive.
All the best, XXXXXXX !!
Feel free to discuss further.