Planning for IVF treatment. Failed IUI cycles in the past. Low sperm count and high FSH levels. Chances of conception through IVF?

I am aged 29 married to a female aged 28 and we have been trying to conceive for the last 2 years. We have had 4 failed IUI cycles and are now planning IVF. The pre cycle test reports were as below

Self - Sperm count of 38 mn/ml with Grade I & II motility of 50%.

My wifes day 3 FSH was detected at 9.4. All her other reports i.e Laproscopy/Hyteroscopy showed normal results - i.e no blocked tubes or other irregularities.

I have the following questions.
Based on the above details what according to you could be the reason for the failure of IUI cycles

Does my Wifes FSH level mean that we have little chance for IVF success.

What are normal ranges for FSH for my wifes age.

Given my Sperm counts as detailed above do we stand a chance for IVF success

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

1. Failure of IUI cycles does not mean that a pathology is present. Even with the best of efforts and ovulation, the successful rate of pregnancy is 16-18% per cycle. So, you need not be hopeless if there is inability to conceive even after getting such good treatment.
2. Higher levels of FSH does not mean a lower level of fertility, if the follicles are present in the ovary. The levels of 9.4 on day 3 are just borderline high. You need not worry. You can repeat it after few cycles and it might come back near normal.
3. Normal FSH levels on day 3 are below 9.
4. Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables. Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are also very crucial to sperm health.

Do not worry. IVF is meant for success in low sperm count. You do stand a good chance of being successful on IVF.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.