Planned to have baby. Done with the tests. Will TPHA positive be transferred during the intercourse?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Dear Doctor, Myself and my wife Planned to have baby. we went to hospital and taken many test.
Doctor Said i had VDRL negative and TPHA positive. i havent taken any treatment before for VDRL.

Is it possible to have TPHA Positive and VDRL negative without any treatment?

After my test, we went to take test for my wife. Both VDRL and TPHA is negative for her.

Can we plan for baby? will TPHA positive from me get transfered to her while we have intercourse.

Please help !!!
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
TPHA is superior to VDRL in general

Detailed Answer:
The possibilities are :
-TPHA is superior to VDRL in detecting the possibility of infection.
There may be possibility of previous infection, which might have led to presence of antibodies.
May be because of presence of low titers of antibodies, VDRL gave negative result.
-Rarely false positive result by TPHA.

So, now the available options are:
- Going for reference test FTA ABS test, which is gold standard test, to confirm the result of TPHA. Going for treatment depending on the results.
- To be on safe side, starting the treatment directly.
Both you and your wife can take the treatment with penicillin group of drugs for one month with your doctor's advice.
This will help in preventing transmission of infection to your wife.
Till the completion of treatment better to use barrier method of contraception.
After the treatment you can repeat the TPHA to detect the antibodies levels.
Once the antibodies levels come to negative, you can plan for a child.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow-up: Planned to have baby. Done with the tests. Will TPHA positive be transferred during the intercourse? 19 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

thanks for the reply.

I consulted Doctor, he said TPHA cant be negative. it will there in blood for long.

After taking Penicillin, can we both have intercourse and plan for baby? will it affect my wife and baby?

how can i avoid to get transfered to my wife?

Will the TPHA can be transfered to my wife through Sperm? if not can i ask doctor to Inject Sperm?

Please reply !!!

Brief Answer:
Significant reduction in the antibody titers

Detailed Answer:
TPHA test becoming negative means showing significant reduction in the antibody titres.
After talking treatment, you have to repeat the test. If there is significant reduction in the titers, that indicates successful treatment.
Then you can plan for a child.
Yes, syphilis can be transmitted by semen also.
So artificial transmission of semen also may not prevent the transmission of infection.
So better to get treated first and plan for pregnancy later.
During the period of treatment, by using barrier method of contraception you can prevent the transmission to your wife.

Follow-up: Planned to have baby. Done with the tests. Will TPHA positive be transferred during the intercourse? 14 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for the reply !!!

We will definitely take injection.

Can TPHA transfered when someone finger was cut, while sucking the finger to avoid blood coming out. Will TPHA infect the person who sucks the finger? Or VDRL will be infected?

Please reply !!! Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Break in the mucosal layer of mouth

Detailed Answer:
If there is any break in the mucosal layer of the mouth, there is possibility of transmission of infection.
VDRL and TPHA both are diagnostic tests of syphilis.
Syphilis is the infection that can be possibly transmitted. The possibility of the infection can be detected by these tests.