Planned a surgery for gastric sleeving. Taking champix. Have diabetes, hypertension, smoking addiction and obese. What are the risks involved?

I am due to have surgery in 2 months (Gastric Sleeving) and started taking champix today. I have diabetes and high blood pressure, will champix have any adverse affects on my anaesthetic? I am obese and am worried about the anaesthetic. That's why I have decided to give up smoking before hand but want to know if it is ok to take champix while having surgery and if there are risks what are they? Thank you
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 3 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

If you are going to have surgery,tell the surgeon or anaesthetist that you are taking this medicine. It may affect other medicines used during surgery. As you will unaware of the medicines used during surgery the interactions are difficult to predict.

As such Varenicline(champix) is well tolerated by most people who use it. Any serious interaction between champix and anesthetic have not been particularly mentioned. But still i advice you to inform your surgeon and anesthetist about Champix.

You have not mentioned what you are on for diabetes, champix can cause hypoglycemia in person on insulin, in other words there is possibility that varenicline improves insulin sensitivity. It is better to inform your physician that you are on champix if you are on insulin.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer