Placenta on the lower side, 17 weeks pregnant. Precautions to take ?

hi my sister has 17 week pregenency , her doc told her that her placenta is in lower side. please tell me what precautions should be taken , and is it XXXXXXX for her pregenency?
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
A lo lying placenta makes her more prone to bleeding in case she does any heavy work or a vigorous exercise. She needs to avoid all such activities at all costs.
Gradually as the pregnancy progresses, the placenta may move upwards thus decreasing the risk of bleeding. She needs to have follow up scans every 8 weeks to monitor the changes.
Please do not worry. This is not likely to affect the growth of baby in any way.
In case it is a major degree placenta praevia, then having a normal delivery might be difficult.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.