Placed iv for a ruptured ovarian cyst. Having pain. Normal?

Infertility Specialist
Was just in the ER with a ruptured ovarian cyst. The nurse had placed an iv and it was extremely uncomfortable. After flushing it twice she decided it was ok. After placing the toradol iv drip I felt that my arm at the site was really cold & still hurting. I look at the site and its a huge lump. I have since been released and most of the fluid has been absorbed but some still remains. I still have some pain, is this normal?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) What you describe is called double puncture of veins which generally happens during fixing IV cannula.

2) The swelling causes pain for 2 days probably. The swelling will get slowly absorbed.

3) If pain is more you can ask your doctor to prescribe you ointment called thrombophobe, which eases pain and reduces swelling.

There is no need to worry. You will be fine soon.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol