Pituitary tumor,benign thyroid tumor,weight gain,best diet plan?

My sister has a pituitary tumor, think they are assuming it is benign, they are not removing it just following with yearly MRI. She also has a benign thyroid tumor. As you may not be surprised to hear, she has gained a ton of wieght with these which is why she went to the doctor to begin with. She doesn't eat a lot and diets but nothing seems to work and she asked me about the hcg diet and I figured it was a bad idea since it can affect the endocrine system. What is your opinion and do you know of the best diet plan for her? Thank you!
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 6 hours later

Thanks for your query .

Pituitary tumors are of different types , they could be smaller or larger , benign or malignant in type. Surgery would only be necessary for tumors which are of significant size , for other tumors , generally medicines and monitoring by MRI /CT scan would be sufficient. It is good that your sister did not need surgery for the same.

Coming to the diet she must be trying to lose weight :

Since HCG is a hormone , and if supplemented externally ( method done in HCG diet ) it is surely expected to cause changes in the hormones in the body and hence the weight loss happens. Since she has a pituitary tumor as well as thyroid dysfunction , both the glands have a very integral role in releasing many hormones like thyroid stimulating hormones , gonadotropins , prolactin , ACTH , etc.By HCG diet these hormones can fluctuate causing changes in her body and the present condition. If she is on medicines , their actions may also vary.

Hence I would suggest her not to go in for a HCG diet,and rather try other natural ways of weight loss with exercise.Though this would take long time , it will not have complications of a hormonal imbalance .

I will provide a link below where we have services for a personalized diet plan. Hope this would be of good help to her

Hope I answered your query. I would be available for follow up's as well.