Pins and needles sensation in breast, breastfeeding, pronounced veins, swelling. Why is my skin reacting like this?

Infertility Specialist
I breastfed my second daughter for 18 months and completely weaned in January. I have a pins and needle sensation on skin on upper quadrant of breast, more pronounced veins and swelling - all in the left breast. This has been going since December, when I started tapering the breast feeding. I went to my OBGYN a few times. He feels that all of my symptoms are hormone related only. I have had an ultrasound and mammogram and they did not show any lumps. Both tests only showed fibrocystic tissue, which I have always had. My question is, why is my skin reacting this way and why are the veins pronounced in the left breast only? Also, why is the aching and swelling only in one breast? The right breast is a symptomatic. Is it possible my doctor is missing something and should I get a second opinion? I am scheduled for a followup mammogram in 6 months because the lab just switched to digital mammograms and they said they needed two to establish a baseline. I feel like 6 months may be a long time to wait in the event that something sinister is brewing. On a side note, I was considering to add evening primrose tablets to my list of vitamins. I was hoping this would help regulate my hormones and make this issue go away. Any opinion on that?
Thank you!
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later

Fibrocystic breast disease is a commonly used phrase to describe painful, lumpy breasts. The changes in fibrocystic breast disease are characterised by the appearance of fibrous tissue and a lumpy, cobblestone texture in the breasts. These lumps are smooth with defined edges, and are usually free-moving in regard to adjacent structures. The lumps are most often found in the upper, outer sections of the breast (nearest to the armpit) as you are describing.

Following is my advice and answer for your questions:

1) Your breasts may not have shown full fledged lumps as they may be in the initial stages of fibrocystic changes. The disease need no occur in both breasts in same way. Thats the reason you are experiencing swelling and veins in left side only as left breast is more likely to be affected than right.

2) It is unlikely to develop in to malignancy so soon. Since your doctor has examined you recently and You have undergone mammgram & ultrasound, You can undergo mammogram as scheduled after 6 months. There is no reason to worry now.

3) I would not recommend adding primrose tablets as of now as benefits of it against this condition is minimal. I dont want you t consume too many tablets which might cause some unwanted side effects due to too many tablets which you are already taking.

4) I recommend healthy balanced diet & excercise. Dont worry about malignancy. Your left breast is more prone for fibrocystic change & hence changes are mor pronounced there.

To add one more thing, since you have stopped breast feeding recently, there will be certain changes in fibromuscular tissue of breast due to which these symptoms will be more. The symptoms will comedown after 2 months when the breast tissue changes are complete from stoppage of breast feeding.

I hope I answered you query. Let me know if I have left any of your concerns unaddressed. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Follow-up: Pins and needles sensation in breast, breastfeeding, pronounced veins, swelling. Why is my skin reacting like this? 1 hour later
Thank you for the thorough reply Doctor. One final question. Is this 'pins and needles' skin sensation also part of the fibrocystic breast changes? Also, the spot of concern is the upper, outer part of breast, closest to center of chest.

Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back.

Pins and needles skin sensations (also tingling sensation) are a part of the fibrocystic change. They are more pronounced during fibromuscular changes due to stopping feeding and your breasts are accomodating changes in structure.

The spot you have described that is concerning you is also generally seen in the fibrocystic change. Little changes may be due to your breast accomodative changes due to stopping feeding.

Do not worry about it. Live happily without thinking about breast disease. There is nothing to worry about.

I hope I answered you query. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Wish you good health