Pins and needles on face. Why is it painful? What could cause this? Do I need to worry?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I have a feeling of pins and needles on the right half of my face. It's slightly painful. I'm wondering what would cause this and if I need to be worried it's something serious? I'm a 31 year old female
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
The feeling of pins and needles in one half of the face is suggestive of facial nerve irritation. It can happen due to exposure to cold or mild stroke or mild nerve compression.
You need to get yourself evaluated by a neurologist to find out the exact cause. Oral steroids are sometimes needed to relieve the symptoms along with Vitamin B complex supplementation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.