Pins and needles feeling in arms and legs, tremor, developed oesophagitis, have borderline hypertension. Related symptoms?

I am a 38 yr old female, 167cm, 69kg. I developed acute neurologic signs 3 mths ago - mainly pins and needles to my arms and legs (mainly R side) and a tremor, mainly to the right hand. My neurologist thinks it may bea very mild form of Guillain barre and it should resolve. MRI was clear aas were blood tests. While the neuro signs are slowly getting better, I have now developed what my gp thinks is oesophagitis. I also now have borderline hypertension. Do you think all these symptoms could be linked?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later
Hello ,

Regarding the occurrence of acute onset sensory symptoms in the hands and feet diagnosis of GBS (Gullian barre syndrome) is to be considered.

I do agree with the neurologist about the diagnosis of GBS. Usually they get better over a period of 2-3 months. No relationship exists between GBS and the occurrence of hypertension and esophagitis.

So i feel these are independent problems and no relationship exists between one another. Drug induced esophagitis is a remote possibility. But the list of medications provided to me does not indicate so.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Take care, Bye
Follow-up: Pins and needles feeling in arms and legs, tremor, developed oesophagitis, have borderline hypertension. Related symptoms? 1 hour later
thankyou for your speedy response. do you have any suggestions that may speed up my recovery. I know I need to exercise but often I feel too fatigued to even leave the house (arms and legs get very tired with little effort) - I guess this is a side effect of GBS

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 54 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

To improve your exercise tolerance you can try small dose of antidepressants which often reduce fatigue and make you feel more energetic.

You can use escitalopram in a dose of 10 mg or 20 mg once a day in the evening after consulting your physician.

You can also add multivitamins , cod liver capsules to your prescription to improve the speed of recovery of the nerves.

Take care,