Pink spotting during pregnancy. Cervical polyps is found in ultrasound. Will this harm baby?

Question
Hi. I started having light pink spotting during 5 weeks pregnant. Just 2 wipe of peach pink on toilet tissue and is gone. Doc gave me duphaston to be taken 3 times a day. Baby heartbeat detected during the 5 weeks scan and everything seems normal. Cervical polyps is found and doc say it is the cause of the spotting. But after taking duphaston for a week. My spotting still appear every time i have a bowel movement. Is my baby ok?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Spotting due to polyp is not likely to harm baby

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.
This is reassuring that your ultrasound is fine.
At this stage of pregnancy this is the only way to ensure health status of your baby.
Spotting during pregnancy is a common sign of threatened miscarriage, but it may also occur if there is a local cause ( like polyp) in the lower genital tract.
If there is no sac separation on ultrasound & polyp is the obvious cause of bleeding then it is not likely to have harmed your baby. Just continue with the ultrasound follow ups & hope for the best.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Pink spotting during pregnancy. Cervical polyps is found in ultrasound. Will this harm baby? 53 minutes later
My doc suggest going for weekly transvirginal ultrascan to monitor the baby due to the spotting. Will the ultrascan harm the baby?

Is it normal to still spot (2 pink wipe) every 3 days even after my doc perscribe me with duphaston pills three times a day + proluton depot injection weekly? I know my doc mention that the polyps is the cause of the spotting. But what can i do to be sure about it? Is there any test i should go or anything i should highlight to my doc on mynext visit?

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These medicines will not stop bleeding from polyp

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Ultrasound is not harmful for the baby.
Duphaston & Proluton are both hormones which are given to overcome any potential progesterone deficiency (which may present as spotting). They will stop not any bleeding due to polyp.
At this stage you can't do anything more than ultrasound to see the health status of baby.
You may discuss with the doctor about Pap smear, if you haven't had it in the past 6 months. Just to make sure it is a benign polyp.
Wish you best of luck.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pink spotting during pregnancy. Cervical polyps is found in ultrasound. Will this harm baby? 5 hours later
May i know what cause cervical polyps to spot during early pregnancy? I have read in the internet that the cause of spotting or bleeding is either after intercourse or vaginal test or scan. But the 3 incidence where i spot during my week 5 - 6. I did not have intercourse or scan. All 3 time appear on the toilet tissue after 2 urine, 1 bowel. Thats the reason why i'm worried that the bleeding did not come from the polyps as what my doc has said. So may i know if normal activities such as going to work, walking a lot cause cervical polyps to bleed?

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increased vascularity ( blood supply).

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Cervical polyps are very vascular structures. They even bleed in non pregnant ladies. The three common causes are as you listed, but they may bleed without being touched.
During pregnancy vascularity of our genital tract increase further, so, is the risk of bleeding.
Overexertion or prolonged pressure on them due to gravity may increase the risk of bleeding. On the other hand bed rest is of no proven role to stop bleeding. So, you may carry on your routine work, just avoid fatigue.
Wish you best of luck.

Follow-up: Pink spotting during pregnancy. Cervical polyps is found in ultrasound. Will this harm baby? 9 days later
I had brown discharge when i wake up around 8 weeks pregnant. It is also accompanied by slight mild bearable cramp with tight feeling. Went to the doc for a scan and found the baby growing with a steady heartbeat. Doc mention that bleeding might be cause by the cervical polyps and gave me ventolin (zenmolin) 2mg to be taken 3 times a day. He say it is to relax the muscle and to reduce cramp. May i know if the medicine will cause any harm to this pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ventolin is not harmful for pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back, and very sorry for a late reply.
This is really good that your ultrasound is fine at 8 weeks of pregnancy. A normal ultrasound at this stage is associated with a very good prognosis pregnancy, provided no new complication arise.
Ventolin was quite often used to prevent preterm labour after 28 weeks of pregnancy, in the past. This medicine is not being used so often these days.
Prescribing ventolin at this stage of pregnancy is quite unusual for me & it has no proven role in preventing a threatened miscarriage. So, I don't think it will have any beneficial effect on your pregnancy. On the other hand it is not harmful for the pregnancy as well. So, I think you should take a second opinion about Ventolin usage from another Gynecologist.
However, you may continue to use your previous hormonal support. You may take Tab Paracetamol 500-1000mg if you have pain.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you good health.