Pink raised patches of skin, back, legs, stomach, not itchy, no fever, spreading. Causes ?

My 15 month old has a mild light pink raised skin patches on his back, upper leg and belly. These do not appear itchy. There is no fever. However they seem to be spreading. He eats and drinks well. Sleeps well too. This has XXXXXXX going on for abut 2 wks.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

The most likely cause of these skin eruptions which you report is a mild fungal infection of the skin. We sometimes refer to this as ringworm (though there is no worm involved). Commonly the areas do not necessarily itch and commonly do spread. This is sometimes associated with warm moist areas of the body but can occur almost anywhere - including the scalp.

Let me recommend that you buy some over the counter cream - clotrimazole. Apply this to the affected areas three times per day for 3 to 5 days and observe for a response.

If you like, I would be happy to review a picture or two of these areas if you can forward it to my attention at YYYY@YYYY .

I hope this has been an informative and adequate response to your question. If you have additional concerns, I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga