Pink, raised bump on side, no pain, itching. Any ideas?

Hello, a few days ago I noticed a pink raised bump on my side, the size of a small mosquito bite. At first I thought it was a piece of hair that must have poked into my skin. (I am a hair dresser and sometimes after cutting hair, it will poke like a sliver). However, within the next day or two the bump became more of a red circle about the size of a nickel. It doesn't hurt anymore, but is a little itchy. It's dry, and whereupon hair follicles are, there are slight bumps. The area is slightly raised. I hadn't planned on going to the Dr, assuming it was no big deal, but seeing as its been several days, I plan to go this week. Any ideas on what it may be, will put my mind at ease until then. Thank you!
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

Thanks for the query and the pictures.

To me it looks like dry discoid dermatitis or nummular eczema. It is nothing to be worried about. This problem is quite common.

Another thing to rule out is a fungal infection (tinea corporis) which can be easily done by inspection by a dermatologist. Again it is a trivial thing and you shouldn’t be very worried about it.

The conditions are easily managed just by creams.
If its nummular eczema your doctor will prescribe you mild steroid creams which will relieve the symptoms in 7-10 days.
If it is a fungal infection, your doctor will prescribe you an antifungal cream like terbinafine which will take care of the infection within 2 weeks.

I hope I have answered your query. Should you have any further query, please feel free to ask me.
Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.