Pink discharge, back pain, menstrual-like cramps, bloating. Watery discharge before period. What could this be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello!
My cycle on average is 26 days, on day 16 of cycle I had light pinkish discharge along with back ache, menstral like cramps and a heavy bloated feeling ( went away after about 3 days). Now 2 days before my expected period I noticed pink watery discharge along with bloated, full feeling in my abdomen, what could this be?
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 minutes later
hi,

the possibilities according to your description are,
-if there is no possibility for pregnancy (means you didn't have unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation) then the symptoms on 16th day could be postovulatory symptoms and the present symptoms could be part of premenstrual syndrome.

-whereas if you are having chance of pregnancy then the first symptoms could be because of implantation and the present symptoms could because of early pregnancy.

as these general symptoms can be seen in both the conditions just by symptoms we cannot come to one conclusion, so if you are having chances of pregnancy as I told before, go for pregnancy test if you miss the expected date of periods, if not your symptoms will usually subside soon.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pink discharge, back pain, menstrual-like cramps, bloating. Watery discharge before period. What could this be? 57 minutes later
I'm not sure if I've experienced postovultatory symptoms in the past ( not that I can recall anyways) , so is this normal ? Should I have been experiencing this every month? Also I don't think I could be pregnant as my husband and I have protected sex. I'm assuming a women's Menstrual cycle can change through out the coarse of her life before experiencing menopause.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 hours later
hi,

postovulatory symptoms may not present in all cycles, though you didn't have in the past now they can appear due to hormonal fluctuation, stress etc,

continuation of these symptoms will depend on the causative factor, these will be usually mild and subside soon, if needed you can take treatment,

in case of protected intercourse the chance of pregnancy is less but we have to remember that contraceptive methods are having some amount of failure rate,

what you told is correct menstrual cycle can undergo changes during the reproductive life because of many factors.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.