Pink blotches on arms and legs, had athletes foot, shower results in red patches. What are they?

ive gotten pink blotches on my hands arms and legs also when i take hot showers my ankles and feet get red patches but those go away soon after my shower ive had and issue with athletes foot mainly itching at night any idea whats wrong?the pink blotches are dime sized and my legs are also a bit scaly the pink marks are flat and do not itch or hurt.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 41 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better. Hence do not mind to answer these:

1.) Since how long are you experiencing this problem?
2.) Do you have headache, stuffy nose?
3.) Do you get fever or sore throat?
4.) Do you notice similar blotches while jogging or running?

Your History suggests that you may be suffering from Pityriasis rosea, which is a scaly skin rash caused by Herpes virus and sometimes the cause is unknown and it is not contagious.

It has to be confirmed, kindly get yourself examined by a Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and suggest a bloodwork and Skin biopsy to rule out other causes with similar symptoms. Once confirmed you will be treated accordingly with Antiviral medications and Phototherapy if the symptoms worsen.

However, it may be better if you can send across a picture of the lesion. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Use lukewarm water when you shower or bathe, because it is less irritating.
2.) If you have itching, use calamine lotion.
3.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.